Saturday, August 14, 2010

Alcohol and Charm

August 13 2035H
At the hotel I work for in Manila.

What transpired earlier was such a hilarious yet flattering experience.

Whilst I was standing on the desk, updating random profiles, a guest walks up to my direction; I look up, give him my metal-mouth smile and welcome him to the hotel as I notice him carrying a huge bag while dragging his huge luggage.

DJ: Good evening, checking-in?

Guest: Oh yes, I'll be checking-in.

DJ: May I have your passport or any type of ID with your photo on it?

The guest then grabs his passport from his bag and hands it to me -- I assumed he was Australian but his passport indicated that he's a British citizen.

DJ: Mr. B******, you'll be staying with us for a night?

Guest: That's correct.

I then go and register him whilst doing my redundant "check-in spiel" and all that jazz. After he filled up the form and after explaining every detail of his package, I then ask..

DJ: May I have your estimated time of departure tomorrow?

Guest: I'll be checking out real early; perhaps around 0500H.

DJ: That is pretty early sir. I'm afraid you won't be able to avail of the buffet breakfast since it begins by 0630H; care for a packed breakfast instead?

Guest: What? you guys do that? that's awesome! YES PLEASE!

DJ: What would you prefer sir? We have a choice of American, Continental or Filipino.

The guest goes for American and I can see from his smile that he was really impressed.

DJ: Also, since you'll be leaving quite early, would you like to have a wake up call?

Guest: Absolutely! You're a star, DJ! -- accompanied by a huge grin that could go for miles.

At this point, I took the advantage of "indirectly" asking for a recommendation from him. So.. I grab this comment card from one of the random dockets of my desk whilst looking at him and saying..

DJ: Perhaps you'd like to fill this up for us; we would love to read your thoughts about your initial experience at the hotel.

He hurriedly grabbed the form and asked for a pen and then he jumped the gun by asking "Where do I recommend you?".

In the back of my head, I was chanting HALLELUJAH!! My plan actually worked! haha.

The funny thing is, I could smell the alcohol from his breath so I sorta used that to my advantage because he wasn't in his sober state. I also noticed that he was literally scribbling on the comment card and he couldn't even spell some of the words correctly. I then jokingly asked him..

DJ: Sir, you're still sober, ya?

He then gives me another grin but I was pretty sure that he was already intoxicated with more than a slight buzz.

Attached below -- I'm not so sure if I can post this here since it's quite confidential; but yeah, who cares? haha -- is the actual comment he wrote down:



Don't you find it quite hilarious? I've learned that you seriously need to use your cards well in any given situation.

After that silly experience, I've re-used this new-found-skill i've learned and I actually received more recommendations from guests! Garnering me a prize of Php 200.00 since I received the highest recommendations for the month of August in the front office department. Well, yeah, Php 200.00 isn't really much but what's important is that guests actually appreciate what I do and it really inspires me to do even better in my craft. The monetary benefit is great but it's the pride that's really rewarding.

Below are the other commendations i've received:







































So yeah, it's just a random story I chose to share and I hope you use this as an example to do well on your own perspective fields.

'til then..

See you guys at the skies!

The agent who's Php 200.00 richer,
DJ

1 comment: